We wrap up the basic Fraction Operations today.
Addition or Subtraction
To add (or subtract) two fractions
- Find the Least Common Denominator (LCD)
- Write both fractions with the LCD
- Add (or subtract) the numerators
- Write the result with the denominator
- Simplify the result fraction (Optional)
To multiply two fractions:
- Multiply the numerator by the numerator
- Multiply the denominator by the denominator
To divide by a fraction, multiply by its reciprocal
Mixed numbers can be written as an improper fraction and an improper fraction can be written as a mixed number.
A fraction is in lowest terms when the numerator and denominator have no common factor other than 1 1 . To write a fraction in lowest terms, divide the numerator and denominator by the greatest common factor.